1 Arrive Hanoi
Be transferred to your hotel, then tonight, enjoy an informal gathering. Stay: Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi
2 Hanoi, Sapa
Rise early and transfer to the ancient alpine town of Sapa. Here, local hill tribes buy and sell household wares and handicrafts, and life has remained unchanged for centuries. You'll also take in sweeping views as you ride the funicular train to Mount Fansipan. Stay Two Nights:
Sapa, Silk Path Grand Resort & Spa (B/L/D) Signature Experiences:
- Explore Sapa and its colourful markets on a walking tour.
Today, set off on a soft trekking tour. In Ta Phin, village, find the home of the Red Dao people. Then continue to explore the traditions of the Black Hmong people in Sau Chua village. Tonight, return to your hotel for dinner. (B/L/D)
4 Sapa, Hanoi
Travel by coach back to Hanoi this morning for an afternoon of leisure. Stay Three Nights: Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi (B)
Today explore more of Hanoi at your own pace. Tonight, meet your APT tour director over a welcome briefing and dinner. (B/D)
Head out on a guided tour of Hanoi before joining your selected Freedom of Choice activity. Tonight, choose your dining. (B/D) Freedom of Choice:
- Perhaps tour the 500-year-old village of Bat Trang, world-famous for its pottery. Or, relax and enjoy a foot massage back at your hotel. Embark on a walking tour to observe Hanoi's French colonial architecture, and explore the interior of the Hanoi Opera House, or take in a water puppet show. Another option is a leisurely bicycle ride past Hanoi's lush rice paddy fields.
- Tonight, you're invited to choose from a vast range of equally superb restaurants that have been carefully selected for you.
7 Hanoi, Ha Long Bay
Travel by coach to Ha Long and set sail among thousands of limestone islets this afternoon, gliding slowly over the waters towards Bai Tu Long Bay. Enjoy lunch on board, and later, arrive at the mysterious Trinh Nu Cave. Here, you can swim in the emerald waters or sunbathe on a private beach nestled behind the cave. Tonight, perhaps take in a fun Vietnamese cooking demonstration on board your ship. Stay Two Nights:
Ha Long Bay, The Au Co (B/L/D) Signature Experiences:
- Embark on your three-day cruise on the World Heritage-listed Ha Long Bay.
8 Ha Long Bay
Awake early and as the sun rises, perhaps rejuvenate your body and soul with a Tai Chi class. Gain a first glimpse of Cat Ba island before disembarking to discover Cat Ba National Park and Viet Hai Village. Here, explore the sights of the island by bike. After lunch back on board, continue to Ba Ham Lake, where the active may wish to head out on a kayak to explore deserted sandy beaches. Relax over dinner aboard The Au Co this evening. (B/L/D)
9 Ha Long Bay, Hanoi, Da Nang, Hoi An
Visit the Cua Van Floating Culture Centre. Disembark your ship and transfer to Hanoi airport for your included flight to Da Nang, from where you'll travel to historic Hoi An. Stay Three Nights: Hotel Royal Hoi An (B/L/D)
10 Hoi An
Explore this delightful seaside town on your selected sightseeing activity. Enjoy a free afternoon to further explore before dinner at a local restaurant tonight. (B/D) Freedom of Choice:
- On a city walking discovery, visit Quan Cong Temple, Diep Dong Nguyen House, a handicraft workshop and the Japanese Covered Bridge. Or pedal at a most peaceful pace from the city across bridges and through forests on a guided bike ride. Alternatively, enjoy an agricultural insight to the city on this fascinating eco-tour. Here, gain a glimpse into the unique farming and fishing techniques adopted by the locals.
11 Hoi An
Set out on a Signature Experience today in Hoi An. (B/L) Signature Experiences:
- Discover Hoi An's colourful market and find local ingredients you'll use during an exclusive cooking class with the Red Bridge Cooking School. A boat cruise along the Hoi An River takes you to the school, before visiting the herb garden and preparing Vietnamese dishes. Sample your efforts during lunch.
12 Hoi An, Hue
Travel past the Marble Mountains and cross Hai Van Pass on your way to Hue. Lunch is in a garden restaurant before visiting Hue's Imperial Citadel and the historic Thien Mu Pagoda. For dinner, enjoy an Emperor Feast unique to this region, featuring royal Vietnamese cuisine. Stay: Hue, Azerai La Résidence (B/L/D)
13 Hue, Ho Chi Minh City
Fly to Ho Chi Minh City and enjoy the rest of the day at your leisure before dinner. Stay: Two Night Stay, Ho Chi Minh City, Park Hyatt Saigon (B/D)
14 Ho Chi Minh City, Long Tan or Cu Chi Tunnels
Choose from one of two Signature Experiences today. Tonight, another Signature Experience awaits. (B/L/D) Signature Experiences:
- Journey to Ba Ria and learn about the Battle of Long Tan, followed by a memorial service at Long Tan Cross, a memorial marking the site of this battle. Erected by the 6th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, it is located in a rubber plantation. Or visit the Cu Chi Tunnels, built by Vietnamese resistance fighters during the war. This remarkable tunnel network concealed the Viet Cong and served as supply and communication routes, as well as hospitals and weapon caches.
- Head to Vietnam House where a dinner menu created by APT Ambassador, Luke Nguyen, awaits.
15 Ho Chi Minh City, My Tho, Embark Ship
Choose your sightseeing this morning, then be transferred to your river ship. Tonight, enjoy an exclusive Luke Nguyen welcome dinner. Stay Seven Nights:
Mekong River, RV AmaMekong
(B/L/D) Freedom of Choice:
- Perhaps rise early and join the locals for a morning Tai Chi class. Then enjoy a leisurely walking discovery of Ho Chi Minh City, visiting the Reunification Palace and the Central Post Office. Or jump on the back of a motorbike for an exciting city ride. Alternatively, tour the Ky Long Art Villa where you'll learn about Vietnamese lacquer art and see artist workshops. You may like to try out your culinary skills with a fun cooking class at GRAIN by Luke Nguyen cooking studio, or take a final shopping spree.
16 Cai Be, Sa Dec
In Cai Be, visit the French Gothic cathedral and port area. Then, it's off to visit a rice paper manufacturer. Continue to Sa Dec where French writer Marguerite Duras met her Vietnamese-Chinese lover, Huynh Thuy Le. Tour his former home and learn the story behind Marguerite Duras' best-selling novel, The Lover. After, visit a Cao Dai temple. (B/L/D)
17 Tan Chau, Evergreen Island, Border Crossing
Transfer to a small boat for a cruise around Tan Chau and past a fishing farm. Disembark for a rickshaw tour and visit a local silk and rattan weaving workshop. Then explore an evergreen island to see authentic rural Mekong life. (B/L/D)
18 Phnom Penh
Enjoy your Freedom of Choice activity then relax back on board this evening. (B/L/D) Freedom of Choice:
- Perhaps experience Cambodia's sobering history with a visit to the Killing Fields. After, see the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum. Or, explore Phnom Penh through one of the other Freedom of Choice activities available.
19 Oudong, Koh Chen, Oknha Tey
Explore Oudong, Cambodia's former royal capital. Return via Koh Chen village and perhaps visit local copperware workshops. Back on board, cruise to Oknha Tey, known for its silk weaving traditions. (B/L/D) Signature Experiences:
- In Oudong, be treated to a Buddhist Blessing Ceremony with local monks at a monastery.
20 Angkor Ban
Enjoy a walking discovery of ancient Angkor Ban today, one of the few villages in Cambodia that was not destroyed under the Khmer Rouge regime in the 1970s. Here, people still live in traditional wooden homes and keep ancient cultural traditions alive. (B/L/D)
21 Kampong Cham, Koh Pen
If you are feeling active this morning, walk to the hilltop pagoda of Wat Hanchey, for views over the Mekong. Lunch is back on board before taking a tuk tuk to explore the island of Koh Pen with its wooden stilt houses and local farming culture. On your ship this evening, enjoy a final farewell dinner. (B/L/D)
22 Kampong Cham, Disembark Ship, Siem Reap
Disembark at Kampong Cham and transfer to your hotel. Then, head to World Heritage-listed Angkor Archaeological Park to visit Angkor Thom and the 12th-century temple, Bayon. Dine in Siem Reap this evening. Stay: Three Night Stay, Siem Reap, Hotel Sofitel Angkor (B/L/D)
23 Siem Reap
Return to Angkor Archaeological Park for sunrise over Angkor Wat. Take a guided tour before breakfast at your hotel. Later, explore Ta Prohm Temple and visit ‘Opportunities of Development thru Art' (ODA). (B) Signature Experiences:
- At Angkor Archaeological Park, enjoy a special sunrise experience at Angkor Wat.
24 Siem Reap
Embark on your selected activity today. Tonight, take in an Apsara dance performance, before a memorable farewell dinner. (B/D) Freedom of Choice:
- Perhaps visit the temple of Wat Preah Prom Rath for a Buddhist blessing or enjoy a tuk tuk ride to the Senteurs d'Angkor workshop. If you're feeling energetic, join a quad bike adventure or take a leisurely bicycle tour through the Cambodian countryside. Other options include a horse and cart ride, a traditional Khmer cooking class, a shopping adventure, or why not indulge in a relaxing spa treatment.
25 Depart Siem Reap
After breakfast, transfer to the airport for your onward flight. (B)