1 Arrive Hanoi
On arrival, you'll be met and transferred to your hotel in the heart of the city. Later this evening, get to know your fellow travellers and your local guide during a welcome dinner. Stay Two Nights: Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi (D)
A guided tour of Hanoi takes you to the city's most famous historical and cultural sites. Then, explore more of this vibrant city on your selected Freedom of Choice activity. (B/D) Freedom of Choice:
- Perhaps tour the 500-year-old village of Bat Trang, world-famous for its pottery. Or, relax and enjoy a foot massage back at your hotel. Embark on a walking tour to observe Hanoi's French colonial architecture, and explore the interior of the Hanoi Opera House, or take in a water puppet show. Another option is a leisurely bicycle ride past Hanoi's lush rice paddy fields.
- Tonight, you're invited to choose from a vast range of equally superb restaurants that have been carefully selected for you.
3 Hanoi, Ha Long Bay
Travel by coach to Ha Long and set sail among thousands of limestone islets this afternoon, gliding slowly over the waters towards Bai Tu Long Bay. Enjoy lunch on board, and later, arrive at the mysterious Trinh Nu Cave. Here, you can swim in the emerald waters or sunbathe on a private beach nestled behind the cave. Tonight, perhaps take in a fun Vietnamese cooking demonstration on board your ship. Stay Two Nights:
Ha Long Bay, The Au Co (B/L/D) Signature Experiences:
- Embark on your three-day cruise on the World Heritage-listed Ha Long Bay.
4 Ha Long Bay
Awake early and as the sun rises, perhaps rejuvenate your body and soul with a Tai Chi class. Gain a first glimpse of Cat Ba island before disembarking to discover Cat Ba National Park and Viet Hai Village. Here, explore the sights of the island by bike. After lunch back on board, continue to Ba Ham Lake, where the active may wish to head out on a kayak to explore deserted sandy beaches. Relax over dinner aboard The Au Co this evening. (B/L/D)
5 Ha Long Bay, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City
Visit the Cua Van Floating Culture Centre, considered one of the most beautiful spots in Ha Long Bay. Disembark your ship and transfer to Hanoi airport for your included flight to Ho Chi Minh City, where you'll be met by your tour director. Stay Two Nights: Ho Chi Minh City, Park Hyatt Saigon (B/L/D)
6 Ho Chi Minh City, Long Tan or Cu Chi Tunnels
Choose from one of two Signature Experiences today. Tonight, another Signature Experience awaits. (B/L/D) Signature Experiences:
- Embark on your three-day cruise on the World Heritage-listed Ha Long Bay.
- Head to Vietnam House to dine on a menu created personally by APT Ambassador, Luke Nguyen.
7 Ho Chi Minh City, My Tho, Embark Ship
Exploring more of Ho Chi Minh City, select from the array of Freedom of Choice experiences on offer. Later, transfer to My Tho and embark your ship. Stay Seven Nights:
Mekong River, RV AmaMekong
(B/L/D) Freedom of Choice:
- Why not join a motorbike, shopping or walking tour? Or, visit Ky Long Art Villa to learn about Vietnamese lacquer art or enjoy a cooking class at GRAIN by Luke Nguyen cooking studio.
8 Cai Be, Sa Dec
In Cai Be, visit the French Gothic cathedral and port area. Then, at a rice paper manufacturer, learn how this Vietnamese staple is made. Continue to Sa Dec where French writer Marguerite Duras met her Vietnamese-Chinese lover, Huynh Thuy Le. Tour his former home and learn the story behind Marguerite Duras' best-selling novel, The Lover. After, visit a traditional Cao Dai temple. (B/L/D)
9 Tan Chau, Evergreen Island, Border Crossing
Transfer to a small boat to cruise the tiny tributaries around the town of Tan Chau. Pass a floating fish farm, then step ashore for a fun rickshaw tour and a visit to a local silk and rattan weaving workshop. Later, step back in time as you experience authentic rural Mekong life on a nearby evergreen island. The remainder of today is yours to relax on board and soak up views of the Mekong. Upon entering Cambodia, you'll cruise towards its enthralling capital, Phnom Penh. (B/L/D)
10 Phnom Penh
Explore Cambodia's past or present today with a range of Freedom of Choice experiences. After lunch back on board, more choices await. The evening is yours to relax. (B/L/D) Freedom of Choice:
- Perhaps experience some of Cambodia's sobering history with a visit to the infamous Killing Fields. Afterwards, see the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, on the site of the Khmer Rouge's notorious Security Prison 21 (S-21). Or, discover Phnom Penh on a tuk tuk ride with a stop at the Central Market. History buffs can visit the National Museum or, if you prefer, take a leisurely bike ride through the city's quiet back roads. After lunch, either explore the Royal Palace and Silver Pagoda, enjoy some shopping or indulge in high tea.
11 Oudong, Koh Chen, Oknha Tey
Today, journey to historic Oudong, which was Cambodia's fascinating royal capital from 1618 until 1866. During your time here, you'll enjoy a Signature Experience. On the way back to Phnom Penh, take a leisurely stroll through the village of Koh Chen and perhaps visit some home workshops that manufacture copperware. Later, your ship glides along the lush banks of the Mekong to Oknha Tey, which is renowned for its silk manufacturing traditions, preserved over centuries. Here, gain an insight into the traditional silk weaving process. After, return to your river ship to relax before enjoying delicious onboard dining tonight. (B/L/D) Signature Experiences:
- In Oudong, pay a visit to a monastery for a Buddhist blessing experience with local monks.
12 Angkor Ban
Join a walking discovery of Angkor Ban, one of the few villages in Cambodia that was not destroyed under the Khmer Rouge regime in the 1970s. Here, people still live in traditional wooden homes and keep ancient cultural traditions alive. Continuing cruising towards Siem Reap this afternoon, enjoy some time at leisure on board. Perhaps go for a dip in the pool, or kick back on the Sun Deck with a good book and relax as life along the Mekong passes you by. (B/L/D)
13 Kampong Cham, Koh Pen
If you are feeling active this morning, perhaps set out on a walk to the hilltop pagoda of Wat Hanchey. From here, enjoy views over the Mekong, making it well worth the climb. You'll find many temples, pagodas and stupas, some dating back to the 8th century. Lunch is back on board, before taking a tuk tuk to explore the island of Koh Pen with its wooden stilt houses and local farming culture. On your ship this evening, toast the end of your cruise during a final farewell dinner. (B/L/D)
14 Kampong Cham, Disembark Ship, Siem Reap
Disembark your ship in Kampong Cham and transfer to Siem Reap. Then, head to World Heritage-listed Angkor Archaeological Park to visit Angkor Thom and the 12th-century temple, Bayon. In Siem Reap tonight, dine in one of the local restaurants. Stay Three Nights:
Siem Reap, Hotel Sofitel Angkor (B/L/D) Freedom of Choice:
- Tonight, take the opportunity to savour a taste of Cambodia with a choice of local restaurants for dinner.
15 Siem Reap
Rise early this morning and travel back to Angkor Archaeological Park for a Signature Experience. After experiencing the majesty of World Heritage-listed Angkor Wat, enjoy a guided exploration of what is regarded as Angkor's best-preserved temple, said to be the world's largest single religious monument. Relax back at your hotel after breakfast. Then this afternoon, explore the temple of Ta Prohm, a World Heritage-listed site which is famous for its intertwined trees. Later, visit ‘Opportunities of Development thru Art' (ODA), a Siem Reap organisation that provides education opportunities for disadvantaged children. The evening is at your leisure. (B) Signature Experiences:
- At Angkor Archaeological Park, enjoy a special sunrise experience at Angkor Wat.
16 Siem Reap
Explore Siem Reap your way today. The afternoon is yours to enjoy as you like, before tonight's traditional Apsara dance performance and a delicious farewell dinner. (B/D) Freedom of Choice:
- Perhaps visit the temple of Wat Preah Prom Rath for a Buddhist blessing or enjoy a tuk tuk ride to the Senteurs d'Angkor workshop. If you're feeling energetic, join a quad bike adventure or take a leisurely bicycle tour through the Cambodian countryside. Other options include a horse and cart ride, a traditional Khmer cooking class, a shopping adventure, or why not indulge in a relaxing spa treatment.
17 Depart Siem Reap
Farewell Siem Reap after breakfast this morning, as you transfer to the airport for your onward flight. (B)