1 Arrive Siem Reap
Welcome to Siem Reap. We'll meet you on arrival and transfer you to your luxurious hotel in the heart of the city. Once you've settled in, enjoy the day at your leisure. Stay Three Nights: Siem Reap, Hotel Sofitel Angkor
2 Siem Reap
Meet your tour director and fellow travellers at a welcome briefing before heading to Angkor Archaeological Park. Here, discover the last capital of the Khmer Empire, Angkor Thom, and the 12th-century temple of Bayon. This afternoon, explore the temple of Ta Prohm, a World Heritage-listed site famous for its intertwined trees. Later, visit ‘Opportunities of Development thru Art' (ODA), a Siem Reap organisation that provides education opportunities for disadvantaged children. Tonight, enjoy a welcome dinner and traditional Apsara dance performance, once reserved for the royal family's entertainment. (B/D)
3 Siem Reap
Rise early this morning and travel back to Angkor Archaeological Park for a special Signature Experience. Afterwards, enjoy a guided exploration of this well-preserved temple, then return to your hotel for breakfast. This afternoon, a choice of sightseeing awaits. (B/D) Freedom of Choice:
- Perhaps visit the temple of Wat Preah Prom Rath and participate in a Buddhist blessing. Maybe enjoy an exciting tuk tuk ride to the Senteurs d'Angkor workshop, where you can shop for local handmade crafts. Should you wish to get active, take off on a thrilling quad bike adventure, or enjoy a leisurely bicycle tour across the Cambodian countryside. Or if you wish to take things a little easier, a horse and cart ride is ideal, or learn the tasty secrets to Khmer cuisine during a cooking class. For those craving a little retail therapy, a shopping adventure awaits. Or if you desire the ultimate indulgence, surrender to a soothing spa treatment.
- Tonight, take the opportunity to savour a taste of Cambodia with a choice of local restaurants for dinner.
- Angkor Archaeological Park to enjoy a special sunrise experience at Angkor Wat. As the sun rises over this World Heritage-listed monument, stand before the silhouette of the temple's tips, while brilliant shades of orange and pink light up the sky.
4 Kampong Cham, Embark Ship, Koh Pen
Bid farewell to Siem Reap and journey through remote Cambodian villages to Kampong Cham. Here, embark the RV AmaMekong, your home for the next seven nights. Following lunch on board, jump in a tuk tuk and explore the island of Koh Pen. Travelling through shaded lanes, keep an eye out for wooden stilted houses tucked among palm and sandalwood trees. You can see a varying range of crops growing depending on the season, including tobacco, betel nuts, watermelons or coconuts and many more tropical fruits. Tonight, an exclusive Luke Nguyen welcome dinner awaits, showcasing the diverse flavours from the region of the celebrity chef's heritage. Stay Seven Nights: Mekong River, RV AmaMekong (B/L/D)
5 Angkor Ban, Oknha Tey
Take a walking discovery of Angkor Ban, one of the few villages in Cambodia that was not destroyed under the Khmer Rouge regime in the 1970s. Here, people still live in their traditional wooden abodes and keep ancient cultural traditions alive. Later, your ship glides along the lush banks of the Mekong to Oknha Tey, renowned for its silk weaving traditions. Here, gain an insight into the traditional process that has been preserved for centuries. Afterwards, return to your river ship, where you'll relax and unwind before delicious onboard dining tonight. (B/L/D)
6 Phnom Penh, Oudong, Koh Chen
Disembark in Phnom Penh and discover Oudong, a place of pilgrimage for Cambodians. While here, enjoy a Signature Experience. On the way back to your ship, take a leisurely stroll through the village of Koh Chen and perhaps visit some home workshops that make copperware. The afternoon is yours to explore Phnom Penh as you wish. Tonight before dinner, be treated to a special Khmer folk performance. (B/L/D) Signature Experiences:
- In Oudong, be treated to a Buddhist Blessing Ceremony at a monastery.
7 Phnom Penh
Today presents a wealth of included sightseeing choices. After lunch back on board, more choices are presented. (B/L/D) Freedom of Choice:
- Experience some of Cambodia's sobering history with a moving excursion to the infamous Killing Fields. Afterwards, visit the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, located on the site of the Khmer Rouge's notorious Security Prison 21 (S-21). Otherwise, discover Phnom Penh on a tuk tuk ride past the railway station and the city's namesake, Wat Phnom. You will also stop to haggle for a bargain at the Central Market. History buffs can embark on a visit to the National Museum, while the active can hop on a leisurely bike ride through the quiet back roads. After lunch, perhaps explore the Royal Palace and Silver Pagoda, partake in some retail therapy on a shopping expedition, or take a little high tea indulgence accompanied by panoramic views over Phnom Penh.
8 Phnom Penh, Border Crossing
Depart Phnom Penh for a morning at leisure as your cruise continues along the Mekong. This afternoon, perhaps take in a fruit-carving demonstration by one of the ship's chefs while border formalities are carried out as you cross into Vietnam. Upon entering, your ship will continue cruising towards Tan Chau. (B/L/D)
9 Tan Chau, Evergreen Island
Transfer to a small boat for a journey along the tiny tributaries that snake around the riverside town of Tan Chau. Cruise past a floating fish farm, then step ashore for a rickshaw tour of Tan Chau. On board your rickshaw, you'll glide past shops, rice wine rooms and friendly locals who are always eager to say hello. Stop to pay a visit to a local silk and rattan weaving workshop. Later, step back in time during a visit to an evergreen island, where you'll experience authentic rural Mekong life. The remainder of today is left free for you to relax on board your river ship. Perhaps take a moment to watch local life gently glide by. (B/L/D)
10 Sa Dec, Cai Be
Cruise towards the quaint town of Sa Dec. It was here where French writer Marguerite Duras met her Vietnamese-Chinese lover, Huynh Thuy Le. On arrival, tour Huynh Thuy Le's old house and learn the story behind Marguerite Duras' best-selling novel, The Lover. Later, pay a visit to a traditional Cao Dai temple. Watch visitors and pilgrims come and go, and appreciate the beauty of the building. This afternoon, continue to Cai Be and step ashore to visit the French Gothic cathedral and the colourful port area filled with crumbling colonial buildings and flowering gardens. Afterwards, you'll visit a rice paper manufacturer and learn about how this Vietnamese staple is made. (B/L/D)
11 My Tho, Disembark Ship, Ho Chi Minh City, Long Tan or Cu Chi Tunnels
Disembark in My Tho and continue to Ho Chi Minh City, once the bustling French colonial city previously known as Saigon. Your first day here offers you the chance to choose from two Signature Experiences, during which you'll learn about Vietnam's recent past. Stay Two Nights:
Ho Chi Minh City, Park Hyatt Saigon (B/L/D) Signature Experiences:
- Perhaps journey to Ba Ria and learn about the Battle of Long Tan. Afterwards, attend a memorial service at Long Tan Cross – a memorial erected by the 6th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, which is set in a rubber plantation and marks the site of the Battle of Long Tan. Alternatively, visit the Cu Chi Tunnels, constructed by Vietnamese resistance fighters during the war. These tunnels served as Viet Cong hiding spots, supply and communication routes, as well as hospitals and weapon caches.
12 Ho Chi Minh City
A range of Freedom of Choice options await today. This evening, we have arranged a special Signature Experience for you. (B/D) Freedom of Choice:
- Perhaps rise early and join the locals for a morning Tai Chi class. Then enjoy a leisurely walking discovery of Ho Chi Minh City, visiting the Reunification Palace and the Central Post Office. Or jump on the back of a motorbike for an exciting city ride. Alternatively, tour the Ky Long Art Villa where you'll learn about Vietnamese lacquer art and see artist workshops. You may like to try out your culinary skills with a fun cooking class at GRAIN by Luke Nguyen cooking studio, or take a final shopping spree.
- Head to Vietnam House where a dinner menu created by APT Ambassador, Luke Nguyen, awaits.
13 Depart Ho Chi Minh City
Enjoy breakfast and a free morning in Ho Chi Minh City. Later you will be transferred to the airport for your onward flight. (B)