Home > Plan Your Journey > Visa & Passport Guide

Visa & Passport Guide

Will I need a passport?

Yes. Passports are needed when travelling outside your home country. Your passport should be valid for 6 months beyond the conclusion of your trip. Global Journeys recommends that your passport contains at least two unused and facing visa pages (3 pages for Africa).

Visas (General Information)

You are responsible for obtaining all necessary visas prior to your tour departure. Depending on your nationality, you may need visas to enter certain countries and obtaining visas can take up to six weeks. We've provided some simple guidance for you below. Note that the information below may change. Date this page was last amended 30 May 2023.

Applying For A Visa Online

Global Journeys have partnered with Visalink who specialise in providing Australian travellers with the relevant visas needed to reach destinations around the world. Be it Brazil, India or China, they can offer you with the visa needed to get you there quickly and efficiently.

Visalink has strong relationships with general consulates in Sydney, Melbourne and around Australia meaning you’ll receive your required visa in the most efficient way possible.

Quick Links

Visas for the USA (Visiting or in Transit)

An ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) approval is required for Australian passport holders entering the USA (even in transit!). Sounds scary but it's not! An ESTA is an automated system that will assist The US Department of Homeland Security in determining a travellers eligibility to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program.

The Visa Waiver Program allows foreign nationals from certain countries to travel to the United States for business or pleasure, for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa.

To apply, all you need to do is complete the form on the link below. Get your itinerary and passports ready and then click on the following link: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Update: For people (of any nationality) who have visited Iran, Iraq, Sudan or Syria since 01 March, 2011. Even if from a Visa Waiver Program country, you will be required to obtain a visitor visa for the USA.

Update: Anyone travelling to the USA who is a citizen of a country participating in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and also a citizen of Iran, Iraq, Sudan or Syria, cannot enter the country under the Visa Waiver Program. They must instead obtain a visitor visa. This means an Australian citizen, travelling on an Australian passport who is normally eligible for an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation) will have to apply at their nearest US consulate for a visitor visa if they are also a citizen of Iran, Iraq, Sudan or Syria.

Visas for Canada

Canada requires Australian citizens to apply online for an electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) for entry into Canada. The eTA will cost $7 Canadian per person, and will last for five years from the date of issue. Please click here for more information, or here to apply for the eTA.

Visas for Europe

For the majority of European destinations in 2024 & 2025 a visa is not required for stays up to 3 months for holders of Australian passports. A visa is not required for holidays in the following countries:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland

If you are resident in Australia, but hold a passport from another country then your visa requirements are likely to be different. If the country you are visiting is not on the list above, then it is likely a visa will be required.

Europe 2025

The rules of travel to Europe will change in 2025 (previously planned for 2024 but has been postponed). Travellers from over 60 current visa-exempt countries (like Australia) will be required to have a travel authorisation (ETIAS) to enter most European countries.

The ETIAS travel authorisation is an entry requirement for Non-EU nationals travelling to over 30 European countries. It's linked to your passport and is valid for up to three years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. If you get a new passport, you need to get a new ETIAS travel authorisation.

With a valid ETIAS travel authorisation, you can enter the territory of these European countries as often as you want for short-term stays - normally for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

Applying for the ETIAS travel authorisation costs EUR 7. Most applications are processed within minutes but it's currently not yet in operation and isn't accepting applications yet. You can read more about ETIAS here.

Visas for UK & Northern Ireland

If you're travelling to the UK or Northern Ireland as a tourist for less than 6 months, you wont require a visa if you're an Aussie, Kiwi, US Citizen, Canadian, EU National or Citizen from a Commonwealth country.

Visas for Ireland

You do not need a visa to land in Ireland if you are a citizen of the EU or the EEA (the EU plus Iceland, Norway and Lichtenstein) or Switzerland or are a citizen of a country listed in this table, which includes Australia, NZ, USA, Canada.

Visas for Asia


Most visitors to Cambodia require a one-month tourist visa (US $20). Most nationalities receive this on arrival at Phnom Penh and Siem Reap airports, and at land borders, but do check if you are carrying an African, Asian or Middle Eastern passport, as there are some exceptions.

For those travelling on a Mekong river cruise and entering Cambodia while onboard the ship (i.e from Vietnam into Cambodia) a visa for Cambodia can be easily obtained whilst onboard your cruise, and is arranged by your Cruise Director.

Type of Visa Required: Standard Visa
Website: http://www.embassyofcambodia.org.nz/au.htm
Cost: US$20 per person

Note: One passport-sized photo is required and you'll be 'fined' US$1 if you don't have one.


Australian Passport Holders are required to obtain a visa prior to departure from Australia for entry into China.

Type of Visa Required: Standard Visa
Website: http://au.china-embassy.org/eng/
Cost: Single Entry Visa – AUD$60 per person, Double Entry Visa – AUD$90 per person


Visas are not required for Australians entering Japan for less than 90 days for tourism. All foreign nationals, including permanent residents of Japan, are required to have their fingerprints electronically scanned and are photographed upon arrival in Japan. Refusal to provide fingerprints or be photographed is grounds for refusal of entry into Japan.


Australian citizens are permitted to stay up to 30 days under the “Visa Exemption Rule” and it is obtained if entering via international airport and a permit to stay up to 15 days if entering through a land border checkpoint from a neighbouring country. Travellers must be in possession of a confirmed travel itinerary and proof of funds.

Myanmar (Burma)

Australian citizens require a visa for Myanmar (Burma) prior to departure from Australia. You can now an online e-visa for visiting Myanmar (Burma) at the followig address: http://evisa.moip.gov.mm/ Starting from 01/09/2016, and eVisa can also be used to enter Myanmar from the following three land border checkpoints, between Myanmar and Thailand - Tachileik, Myawaddy, Kawthaung.


Australian citizens require a visa for Vietnam. If you're arriving into Vietnam onboard a cruise (e.g. Mekong river cruise) then you must arrange your Vietnam visa prior to departure from Australia.

If you're flying into Vietnam the easiest and cheapest way to get your visa approved on arrival at Vietnam airport is through an online visa-service company which will provide you with a letter of invitation. This system does not operate at land/river border crossings (e.g. Mekong river cruise).

For those travellers that are required to obtain a visa prior to departure from Australia, or for those that prefer to obtain a visa prior to departure from Australia you will need to contact your closest Vietnamese Embassy to obtain a visa, or Global Journeys have partnered with Visalink who specialise in providing Australian travellers with the relevant visa.

For those travellers flying into Vietnam and wanting to get a letter of invitation to assist in obtaining a visa on arrival at Vietnam airport, you can contact Vietnam Visa Corp. You will need passport details, and you will receive an email approval document two to three days later (one day for rush service), which you need to print and bring with you to the airport. On arrival, present the approval document and passport picture, then pay a stamping fee (US$45 for single-entry).

Visas for Africa

Australians can visit the following countries without the need for a tourist visa. If the country you wish to travel to is not on this list then it's likely you'll neeed a Visa. More details on entry requirements for Africa can be found here on the Smartraveller website.

  • Botswana (90 Days)
  • Lesotho (14 Days)
  • Namibia (90 Days)
  • Eswatini (Swaziland) (30 Days)
  • Mauritius
  • Morocco (90 Days)
  • South Africa (90 Days)
  • Gambia (90 Days)
  • Tunisia (90 Days)

Visas for India

You need to apply online at India Visa Online for an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA), a minimum of four and a maximum of 30 days before you are due to travel. Australian and New Zealand travellers are granted a 30-day single-entry visa on arrival (VOA) at Bengaluru, Chennai, Cochin, Delhi, Goa, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai and Trivandrum airports. The fee is US$60, and you have to upload a photograph as well as a copy of your passport (details of requirements included in link above).

Visas for New Zealand

Most visitors must have an Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA) and pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL) before travelling to New Zealand.

Who does not need an NZeTA?

You do not need an NZeTA to travel to New Zealand if you:

  • are an Australian citizen travelling on an Australian passport.
  • must apply for a New Zealand visa before you travel
  • already hold a valid New Zealand visa
  • you are a permanent resident or citizen of New Zealand
Who needs an NZeTA?

You must request an NZeTA before you travel to New Zealand if you:

  • are a permanent resident of Australia
  • a cruise ship passenger, regardless of your nationality
  • visiting from a visa waiver country - that is any a country whose passport holders do not need to get a visa before they arrive in New Zealand
When do I request the NZeTA and pay the IVL?

Request your NZeTA well in advance of your trip to New Zealand. It can take Customs up to 72 hours to approve your NZeTA. If you do not hold an NZeTA when you check in for your flight or cruise you will not be allowed to board. You may be able to request an NZeTA when you check in, but if they cannot process your request in time or if they decline it, then you will not be allowed to board.

There will be 2 ways to request an NZeTA and pay the IVL.

What is the cost?

An NZeTA costs:

  • NZD $9 for requests submitted using the mobile app
  • NZD $12 for requests using the website form.

The IVL costs NZD $35 for each person travelling to New Zealand and is charged in the same transaction as your NZeTA. Your NZeTA and IVL are valid for multiple visits and up to 2 years.

Visas for Australia

Travellers to Australia need a valid passport or similar certificate of identification.  Everyone, except travellers with Australian or New Zealand passports, require a visa.

Electronic Travel Authority (ETA)

An electronically stored authority for short-term visits to Australia of up to 3 months. Available to passport holders from 33 countries and regions. Applications must be made from outside Australia. An ETA is equivalent to a visa, but there is no stamp or label in your passport and there is no need for you to visit an Australian diplomatic office to submit an application.

Now, you can also submit applications online, and in most cases, your ETA can be approved in less than 30 seconds. The ETA is issued electronically by a computer system operated for the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs (DIMA) of Australia. When an application for an ETA is submitted through their site, all you need to do is enter the details from your passport and your credit card information. The application is processed immediately. Approved applications are electronically recorded on Australian Government systems.

When you arrive at an airport for check-in on a flight to Australia, the airline check-in staff can electronically confirm that you have authority to board the flight to Australia. If you do not want to do this yourself, then simply ask for your flight agent to lodge it when you are booking your flights. This is the most popular option.

Am I Eligible?

You are only eligible to apply for an ETA while you are outside of Australia. To apply you must also hold one of the listed ETA-eligible passports below. If you do not meet these criteria, then you should contact your nearest Australian visa office for further options.

Travellers holding the following passports may now apply for an ETA:

  • Andorra
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brunei
  • Canada
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong SAR
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Liechtenstein
  • Luxembourg
  • Malaysia
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom
  • USA
  • Vatican City
Tourist Visa (Subclass 600)

A temporary visa generally granted for a stay of 3 months or 6 months. In certain circumstances a stay of 12 months may be granted.

This visa is for people who want to visit Australia for a holiday or recreation, or to visit family and/or friends. This visa may also be used for other short-term non-work purposes including study for less than three months. This visa is for you if you are:

  • outside Australia and want to apply for a visa to visit Australia
  • in Australia and want to extend your stay as a visitor.

For information on applying for this Visa then please click here.

Visas for South America

Visitors travelling on an Australian passport do NOT require a visa as a tourist visiting for up to 90 days, to the following South American countries:

  • Argentina
  • Peru
  • Bolivia
  • Uruguay
  • Colombia
  • Ecuador

Visas are required for the following countries:

  • Brazil: Effective April 10, 2025, citizens of Australia, Canada and the United States are required to hold an eVisa for stays of up to 90 days in Brazil. This policy applies to tourism, family visits, and/or transit. This eVisa will be valid for multiple entries over a ten-year period (for US citizens) or a five-year period (for Australian and Canadian citizens). You will need apply for a Visa online through Brazil's Ministry of Foreign Affairs website or apply through Visalink.
  • Paraguay: For US$135 (approximately AU$135), Australian visitors can obtain a 90-day, multiple entry visa upon arrival only at the Silvio Pettirossi Asunción International Airport. If you are entering Paraguay through any other port, you’ll need to arrange your visa before arrival.
  • Chile: An E-visa needs to be applied for prior to travel. Full details can be found here. This is not applicable for transit stays of up to 8 hours.
Terms & Conditions
We've tried to make this visa & passport guide as accurate as possible but please double check the essentials like visas, health and safety, airport information etc with the relevant authorities before you travel. You are responsible for obtaining and paying for all visa and entry documents, for meeting all health and other requirements, and for any documents required by the laws, regulations, orders, and/or requirements of the countries you will visit. Global Journeys are not responsible for providing specific visa and passport information or documentation, and Global Journeys cannot accept liability for any traveller refused entry onto any transport or into any country due to failure of the traveller to carry correct documentation. Always double-check visa requirements before you travel, as policies change regularly.

Plan Your Journey Learn more Your guide to planning your next adventure with Global Journeys