On arrival in Lisbon, you'll be met at the airport and transferred to your hotel. This evening, get to know your fellow travellers and APT Tour Director as you enjoy a Welcome Reception. Stay Three Nights: Lisbon, Four Seasons Hotel Ritz
On a tour of Lisbon, ride on the city's iconic tramcars, then visit the charming Old Town. Discover the World Heritage-listed Jeronimos Monastery, a symbol of Portugal's power and wealth during the Age of Discovery. Built in 1502 by King Manuel I, the monastery commemorates Vasco da Gama's voyage to India. Later this evening, get to know your fellow guests during a delicious Welcome Dinner. (B/D)
Venture into the picturesque mountain range of Serra de Sintra. Visit Pena National Palace, set within a picturesque backdrop and take a guided tour of Sintra, the town below. Enjoy lunch at your leisure before returning to Lisbon via the spectacular coastal route. During your final evening in Lisbon, you may wish to try one of the local restaurants. (B)
Lisbon, Coimbra, Porto, Embark Ship
Journey through Portugal's rural countryside to Coimbra, a delightful medieval city home to Portugal's most famous university. After a tour and free time for lunch, continue to Porto. Board your river ship and after settling in, enjoy a Welcome Dinner. Stay Seven Nights: the MS AmaVida (B/D)
Choose your sightseeing. Back on board, enjoy a delicious dinner. (B/L/D)
Freedom of Choice:
- Explore Porto's Old Town and delight in its 16th-century buildings, followed by a port wine tasting. Alternatively, journey to Matosinhos and visit a traditional restaurant for a cooking demonstration of local delicacies, or enjoy an active walking tour through the medieval streets of Porto and the old harbour quarter of Ribeira.
Porto, Guimarães, Entre-Os-Rios
Take a morning excursion to Guimaraes, an authentic and well-preserved showcase of the evolution of medieval settlement. Back on board, enjoy some scenic cruising through the Douro Valley en route to Entre-Os-Rios. (B/L/D)
- Visit Quinta da Avelada, a family business that has been producing wine in the Douro region since the 1870s. Explore the gardens on a tour, followed by a wine and cheese tasting and private dinner.
This morning, delight in the beauty of this sun-drenched region as you cruise to Regua. On arrival, visit the Douro Museum, which provides an incredible insight into culture of the Douro Valley wine region. (B/L/D)
After you preferred sightseeing, continue cruising through the dramatic gorges of the Douro Valley to Pinhao, where you'll enjoy dinner later this evening. (B/L/D)
- Tour the ancient town of Lamego and visit the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Remedies. You'll then sample bola de Lamego, a specialty dish of the region. Alternatively, enjoy a visit to Quinta da Pacheca for a picnic with breathtaking views over the Douro River and Regua.
Take a trip to Palacio de Mateus, located near the city of Vila Real. Built in 1745, the palace offers a wonderful insight into the lives of Portuguese aristocracy. Enjoy time at leisure in Pinhao followed by the Captain's Farewell Dinner on board. (B/L/D)
- Visit Quinta da Roeda for a wine tasting, followed by a traditional family-style lunch.
Travel to the tiny fortified village of Figueira de Castelo Rodrigo today. On a tour here, see the castle ruins, and take in spectacular panoramic views of the Douro Valley and surrounding towns. Back on board, enjoy a delicious dinner this evening as you make the most of your last night on board. (B/L/D)
Barca d'Alva, Disembark Ship, Salamanca, Madrid
Disembark in Barca d'Alva today and travel to the ancient city of Salamanca. During a tour, see the University of Salamanca and the House of Shells. Afterwards, continue to your hotel in Madrid, where you will be able to enjoy the evening at your leisure. Stay Three Nights: Madrid, Westin Palace Madrid (B/L)
Enjoy a tour of Madrid followed by a Farewell Dinner featuring a range of tantalising tapas later in the evening. (B/D)
Enjoy a choice of sightseeing activities in Madrid today. (B)
Freedom of Choice:
- Perhaps learn all about the traditional flavours of delectable Spanish cuisine on a culinary tour. Otherwise, immerse yourself in Spanish art at the Prado Museum, including works from Italian and Flemish artists such as Velazquez, Goya, Raphael, Rubens, and Bosch. Alternatively you may wish to explore the Bernabeu soccer stadium, home to the world-famous Real Madrid Football Club.
Be transferred to the airport. (B)