1 Arrive Frankfurt
Be met on arrival and transfer to your hotel. Perhaps take some time to explore the city, then later this evening, gather around for a welcome reception. Stay: Frankfurt, Hotel Frankfurter Hof Steigenberger
2 Frankfurt, Heidelberg, Stuttgart, Black Forest
Travel to the university town of Heidelberg
, then this afternoon, in Stuttgart, visit the Mercedes-Benz Car Museum, showcasing the latest in contemporary German engineering and architecture. Discover 130 years of auto industry history with 160 vehicles on display. Tonight, enjoy your Signature Experience. Stay Two Nights:
Black Forest, Hotel Traube Tonbach (B/D) Signature Experiences:
- Tonight, we have planned something special for you. Enter your hotel's traditional cabin known as the Pudelsteinhütte, where you will savour a welcome dinner in a rustic cabin, surrounded by majestic forest. Accompanied by traditional entertainment, this will be a night to remember.
3 Black Forest
Enjoy the day with your preferred sightseeing. (B) Freedom of Choice:
- Gourmet lovers will rejoice in a cooking class to learn the secrets of Bavarian cuisine. Alternatively, perhaps sample some of the region's beers at a local brewery, or continue making fairytale moments with an old-fashioned horse and carriage ride through this stunning region.
4 Stuttgart, Hohenzollern, Munich
It's time to make some more fairytales come true with a visit to Hohenzollern Castle, a grand 11th-century fortress set atop beautiful Mount Hohenzollern in a dramatic fashion. Afterwards, travel to Munich in time for dinner. Stay Two Nights: Munich, Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski (B/D)
Enjoy a guided discovery of Munich, then select your preferred sightseeing. (B) Freedom of Choice:
- A guide will lead you on a culinary tour, providing a delicious way to familiarise yourself with the local fare. Another option is to discover the BMW Museum and see its themed exhibits. Alternatively, visit the Dachau Concentration Camp, offering a sobering insight into the location that served as a model for all Nazi concentration camps.
6 Munich, Oberammergau
Travel to Oberammergau, where you will have the rest of the day at leisure to either relax at your hotel, or use your APT Concierge app and explore the town. Stay Two Nights: Oberammergau region hotel as assigned (B/D)
7 Neuschwanstein, Oberammergau
This morning, enjoy your Signature Experience. Later today, the time has come to take your seat at the Passion Play Theatre. In a stellar five-hour-performance, almost half of Oberammergau's population are involved in bringing to life the story of Jesus of Nazareth on the impressive open-air stage. Afterwards, return to your hotel. (B/D) Signature Experiences:
- Experience the magic of Neuschwanstein Castle before it is open to the general public. Built by King Ludwig II of Bavaria, the castle was to honour composer, Richard Wagner. Along with its majestic setting in the Bavarian Alps, it comes as no surprise that Walt Disney used this castle as the inspiration to create his Magic Kingdom.
8 Oberammergau, Lake Chiemsee, Berchtesgaden
Stop at the cerulean waters of beautiful Lake Chiemsee. Then head to the summit of Eagle's Nest, originally built as a teahouse for Adolf Hitler's 50th birthday. Absorb sublime alpine vistas, then continue to Berchtesgaden. Stay Two Nights: Kempinski Berchtesgaden (B)
9 Berchtesgaden, Salzkammergut
In the Salzkammergut Lake District, cruise Lake Wolfgangsee, then experience an authentic Austrian coffee house as you delight in coffee and cake at the famous Cafe Zauner. Return to Berchtesgaden for a farewell dinner at a traditional restaurant. (B/D)
10 Berchtesgaden, Budapest, Embark Ship
Transfer to Budapest, where you'll board your river ship. Tonight, experience an illuminations cruise as Budapest's monuments sparkle. Stay: 14 Nights, a Concerto River Ship (B/D)
Start the day with a guided tour of Budapest . After your Signature Experience, sail towards Vienna
. (B/L/D) Signature Experiences:
- Afterwards, head to Budapest Station's Royal Waiting Room, where you will follow in the footsteps of the Habsburg Empire. Enjoy an exclusive welcome reception before boarding the Grand Empress steam train. On board, you'll be treated like royalty, with a game lunch served. You will see inside some ornately adorned carriages from the early 1900s. Gödöllő Palace, Elisabeth of Bavaria's favourite residence, is your destination. You will be shown through this monument of Hungarian aristocracy and architecture. Operates on all departures between May and September.
Take in Vienna's Ringstrasse, plus enjoy a visit to St Stephen's Cathedral. (B/L/D)
Another day in this beautiful city presents new options to soak up the city. Tonight, enjoy your Signature Experience. (B/L/D) Freedom of Choice:
- The 1,441-room Schönbrunn Palace and its gardens are a favourite. Or tick another country off your list and journey to Slovakia's Bratislava. Otherwise, get active a ride a bike to Klosterneuburg Monastery.
- Tonight, at the regal City Palace in the heart of Vienna, we are putting on an exclusive cocktail party and private recital, just for you.
14 Dürnstein, Melk
Perhaps roam Dürnstein's cobblestone lanes at your leisure or take a bike tour along the river to Melk. Whether you're on a bike or on the ship, enjoy the spectacular scenery of the Wachau Valley on the way to Melk, where you'll choose your sightseeing. (B/L/D) Freedom of Choice:
- From Melk, visit the statuary-adorned Melk Abbey, otherwise a local expert is on hand to show you around town.
15 Linz, Passau
Choose your sightseeing today. (B/L/D) Freedom of Choice:
- From Linz, head to Salzburg to visit some of the incredible sights featured in Roger and Hammerstein's The Sound of Music. Or set off on into the Czech Republic, where Česky Krumlov awaits. Either way, you will re-board your ship in the German town of Passau. Alternatively, relax on board for the entire day, then explore Passau.
Choose your sightseeing. Later, a student from the University of Regensburg will come aboard for a presentation. (B/L/D) Freedom of Choice:
- In Regensburg, explore its World Heritage-listed city centre. Or put on your dancing shoes for a Bavarian dance class at a local beer haus. Maybe take a culinary walk and visit the Michelin-starred Storstad.
Continue cruising onto the Main-Danube Canal today. Nuremberg is teeming with medieval castles, Gothic churches and poignant World War II sites, such as the Reich Party Rally Grounds. Here, choose your sightseeing. You will be rewarded with freshly baked gingerbread on your return. (B/L/D) Freedom of Choice:
- Perhaps embark on a journey through Nuremberg's World War II history, or keep fit with a hike through the Schwarzach Valley.
On arrival into Bamberg, join an exploration with a local expert to uncover everything World Heritage-listed Bamberg has to offer. Otherwise, take it easy and relax on board. (B/L/D)
Choose your preferred sightseeing. (B/L/D) Freedom of Choice:
- Seize the day with a walk to the 18th-century palace, Würzburg Residence. Perhaps journey along Romantic Road to medieval Rothenburg. Or meet the locals with a visit to a family-owned farm, where a home-cooked morning tea is on the menu.
Relax on board as you cruise into Miltenberg. Here, you're free to do as you please. (B/L/D) Freedom of Choice:
- Pick up the pace and hike through a forested area overlooking spectacular Franconian vineyards. Or, go slow and head to a local cellar for a tipple or two. You can even stay on your ship and learn a little German.
21 Rüdesheim, Andernach
A little further up the Rhine, your ship is docked at Rüdesheim. After your preferred sightseeing inclusion, cruise through the scenic Rhine Gorge. Later in Andernach, enjoy your Signature Experience. (B/L/D) Freedom of Choice:
- A gondola ride over the Rhine Valley is a great way to give you a perspective of the town. If you're up for something a little more quirky, discover Siegfried's Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum. Otherwise, a fine selection of Rhine Valley wines eagerly await your palate at an onboard tasting.
- Go beyond the gates of Namedy Castle for an exclusive wander through the grounds, followed by a cocktail reception and a piano recital in the ballroom.
Select your inclusion that best suits you. (B/L/D) Freedom of Choice:
- Take a discovery through Cologne's historic city centre and sample local German beers and snacks along the way. Or set off on a bike ride to explore Cologne's historic sights.
Choose your sightseeing today. Tonight, celebrate the days that have just gone by with the captain's farewell dinner. (B/L/D) Freedom of Choice:
- Perhaps slow things down and cruise the canals on a glass-top boat. Or visit Zaanse Schans – known for its windmills and specialty produce. If you're lucky to be on one of our spring departures, the tulips of Keukenhof Gardens are ready to greet you at every turn. Otherwise, stay on board and relax and unwind.
24 Disembark Ship, Depart Amsterdam
Sadly, your journey comes to an end. We say goodbye, then transfer you to the airport. (B)